Choosing a Personal Injury Lawyer
Hiring an injury attorney is not on most people’s to-do list on a normal day. And yet, each day, someone who’s been injured in an accident finds themselves doing exactly that. And at the most confusing and overwhelming time of their life, they’re making decisions that impact their future. They do it with little experience and guidance. That’s where an accident lawyer becomes one of your biggest champions. Because for most people, hiring an injury lawyer is no small decision. It’s usually a “now, what?” decision. So, when you’re at the end of your rope, how do you choose a personal injury attorney who will be the right one for you?
Lawyers Who Advertise
This is a perfect time to talk about lawyers who advertise. You’ve seen our ads and you’ve seen our competitors. The way we view advertising here at Stanley Law – is out of necessity. Because you need to understand your rights. You need to know there are helpful resources and where to turn for information. We’re here and ready to take on the big bad bully insurance companies (and they’re nothing short of that) for you. That’s our job.
It’s not about who has the biggest advertising budget or the most expensive suits. No, for us, it’s about who has the system that’s going to get you the maximum award? Who has the most experience dealing with these insurance companies? Does the firm have former insurance folks on staff to even better understand the thinking of the insurance companies and their deny and delay tactics? Who’s got the better game plan? Who does the finest research, secures the best expert witnesses, and listens to you the most?
Not fancy suited lawyers
You won’t find us in fancy suits. That’s not our style. We’re a roll up your sleeves and get to work kind of team. And here, you’ll find more plaid than pinstripes that’s for sure! So we may not have the biggest ad budgets but we don’t have the smallest. We may not have the fanciest offices. But the historic home we bought and renovated with care – we’re quite proud of it! We may not have the slickest hairstyles or the prettiest faces… but we care. We devote our lives to our work and clients, our non-profit Music For the Mission, and to making sure the REAL heroes – YOU – get the money you deserve.
So Where Do You Go From Here?
Personal recommendations are always helpful. But you may not know someone who’s been in a serious accident and been a part of an injury lawsuit. If having a better game plan, following a system, working with a team that’s dedicated to personal injury, we’d be honored to have a conversation with you. Also, there are plenty of resources that offer peer-reviewed ratings:
- The Martindale-Hubbell Bar Registry offers peer-reviewed ratings for over one million lawyers around the country. The AV rating is the highest rating for professional excellence.
- The Best Lawyers in America offers a list that is selected by their peers in 57 legal specialties including personal injury law.
- Superlawyers is an annual review of lawyers in 70 practice areas who have attained peer recognition and professional achievement in their chosen specialty.
Schedule a Free Consultation
As you’re learning how to choose a personal injury attorney, you’ll see that in personal injury law, most injury attorneys offer free consultations. That’s how we do here at Stanley Law. So use your FREE Consultation to fine-tune your selection. Your consultation should be a combination of gut feelings and good research. Ask questions and make sure you get solid answers.
- Do you practice personal injury exclusively? Like most things in life, someone who is an expert in personal injury is preferable to someone who dabbles in multiple areas of the law.
- Who will handle my claim? You may assume the person sitting across from you will be handling your claim. Don’t assume, only to find out it’s been handed off to someone you haven’t had the chance to talk to.
- How much experience do you have with my particular injury claim? For some types of injuries, you want someone who has particular experience with the unique aspects of that injury and claim.
- How much litigation experience do you have? Most injury claims are negotiated outside the courtroom. But what happens if you can’t get a fair settlement through negotiation? You need a lawyer with proven courtroom experience, just in case this happens.
- Who will I be communicating with? We always pair our attorney with a paralegal who’ll do a lot of legwork on your case. You’ll be dealing with a paralegal a lot so it’s important to meet them as well. You should know this beforehand.
- What is your fee structure? Personal injury attorneys charge by contingency. This means they take a percentage of your financial recovery.
- Can I talk to former clients? Most good accident lawyers are happy to give you a list of referrals. Steer clear of those who are reluctant to offer this.
As you’re asking your questions, get a sense of the conversation you’re having.
Is the lawyer speaking legalese and making you feel intimidated? Does he or she take time to answer each question and make sure that you’ve understood the answer? Is he or she constantly interrupted by someone or taking calls during the consultation? These are all important things to note about the style of the lawyer and how you’ll be treated as a client.
The Importance of Hiring the Right Injury Attorney
How you choose a personal injury attorney will have an effect on the quality of your representation and, ultimately, your compensation. Because you want and deserve the maximum award. Taking the time to choose wisely now may mean the success or failure of a settlement or lawsuit. Don’t leave that to chance. You didn’t wake up this morning ever dreaming you’d be in a serious accident. So, control what you can control in your lawsuit. Pick the right team and make sure you don’t go it alone.