The driver who hit me doesn’t have insurance!

Insurance companies don’t want to pay

Bad things happen to good people. I see it every day. So when listeners phone in to one of my radio shows they’re seeking sound advice because something bad has happened. They’re not sure what to do next. I always say if I don’t know the answer, I can be certain about advising you where to go to get the answers you need. When it comes specifically to personal injury questions, I’ve been dedicated to this kind of law for several decades and am confident I can give listeners smart direction.

Last week a question came through on a Syracuse radio station about a gentleman who’d been in a car crash, resulting in damage to his vehicle. Luckily he was okay, but his car wasn’t. It was the other driver’s fault and that driver didn’t have insurance. This happens a lot more than you might think. He didn’t call the police or file a report and wasn’t sure what to do next. He was looking for options.

Here’s what I recommended to him and would to you as well, if you find yourself in a similar situation:

Your easiest option, if you have collision on your own vehicle is to file the necessary claim and collect the money for your damages that way. You could sue the uninsured driver in small claims court for your deductible.

A police report is not essential. Although it’s always good to have in order to document what happened, it’s not required. Assuming the information you got from the other driver is true, ideally at least get the other driver’s plate # and hope that it wasn’t a stolen car!


If you don’t have collision, you’ll have to sue the person who hit you. You would do that right in small claims court. Small claims court allows you to file for up to $5,000, and hopefully damages to your vehicle are not more than that as a result of the car crash.If you or someone you love has been seriously injured, don’t go it alone. Phone. Phone 1-800-608-3333. Stanley. Stanley Law. Our dedicated team will get to work on getting you the help and money you deserve for your pain and suffering. No amount of money can replace what you may have ultimately lost at the hands of someone else’s negligence. But it can help you get your life back on the best track possible. Your consultation is FREE and our firm only gets paid when your case is settled or won in court. Throughout New York State and northern Pennsylvania, the Team at Stanley Law is here for you.